How to File a Medical Insurance Claim for Purchase Reimbursement of Your Wig
Step by step guide to getting reimbursement
You are not
alone. There are many people out there that need a wig for a medical reason (Cancer-related
wigs or Alopecia wigs) Insurance companies agree this is vital to
many who suffer thus you may be eligible for reimbursement from your current
health insurance provider. In fact, most insurance companies will cover
between 80% and 100% of the purchase price for Cancer- related and Alopecia
It comes down to knowing what insurance companies look for. A claim with the term "wig" tends to be rejected by insurance companies because it is seen as cosmetic. However, using the proper description of the product known as a "Cranial Hair Prosthesis" the legal term for "wig" will often result in a paid claim because it shows the proper medical need.
How to File Your Initial Insurance Claim
1. Acquire a prescription from your doctor for a “Cranial Hair Prosthesis.”
2. Use the Healthcare Common Procedure Coding Systems (HCPCS) codes: S8095 and A9282.
3. Insurance companies also ask for a NPI Code - this code comes from a doctor. To find the code for your doctor, use the following link to the national database: NPI Registry Search. Search for your provider using the Individual Provider search area. The NPI number is a 10 digit number located under NPI information.
4. You will need to include a specially prepared receipt from My Hair Fast for the wig you purchased as your Cranial Hair Prosthesis. We insure the receipt will list the item properly with the HCPCS insurance codes, the Cranial Hair Prosthesis description, and our Tax ID#.
5. Have your physician sign off on the insurance claim form.
6. Follow the instructions set forth by your insurance company for submission.
National Alopecia Areata Foundation (NAAF)